Sunday, February 26, 2012

Transparency

Two weeks ago Representative Thomas casually mentioned that there might be some funding for small projects from the community of Haines.  Could I get the word out? 

Certainly.  But I was unprepared for what followed.  I had assumed that the projects, submitted by local non-profits would be judged in Juneau on their own merits.  Wrong.  I began to be asked for letters of support. 

I do not believe that "as the Mayor goes, so goes the community."  Instead, I believe that it is my job to represent the decisions of the Assembly.  I am uncomfortable making decisions or recommendations on behalf of the community absent Assembly confirmation.  However, deadlines loomed (last day to submit requests is February 27), and the next Assembly meeting was February 28.  So this year, letters of support were submitted for each and every project either by myself or by the manager.   But with this post, I am announcing a policy: requests for Borough support for legislative funding will need to be submitted for approval by the Assembly.  We will all have to check our calendars carefully! 

All requests for Borough support were honored. Here they are:
  • Chilkat Valley Preschool, requesting $30,000 state funding for modular furniture, area rugs and educational equipment for use by students ages 3 to 5.
  • Takshanuk Watershed Council, requesting $14,000 to complete the funding for a $17,000 project to erect a high tunnel hoop house for the school garden.
  • Haines Senior Citizens Center, Inc, requesting $37,000 to perform weatherization work on the Senior Center.
  • American Legion Lynn Canal Post #12, requesting $150,000 to install a fire suppression system required by the Alaska State Fire Marshall to meet updated 2010 fire codes.

No comments:

Post a Comment