Saturday, September 17, 2011

Why Would You Want to Be Mayor Anyway?

That question comes up in the "most frequently asked" category in the conversations I have been having around the community. Without a doubt, being a mayor is a hard job. The Mayor's Handbook, downloadable from the Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development, describes the position in detail.

I sat down with this document this week and it reminded me of my number one objective for becoming a mayoral candidate: to launch a conversation amongst ourselves of what we want our mayor to be, to do.

I believe that part of the mayor's job is to be a mediator and a diplomat. As mediator the mayor must see all sides of the issue and be able to explain the "big picture" to the Assembly and to the community. The best way I know of to see "all sides," is to thoroughly study and understand the issues. The mayor, as leader of the debate at the Assembly level, may have to put in extra time and effort to prepare for each Assembly meeting.

Being a diplomat means to skillfully handle issues without arousing hostility. The mayor needs to have the ability to get along with people and relate to them positively and constructively on their issues and concerns. It does not mean agreeing with everyone. In fact, the mayor needs to be tough. But toughness does not mean unwilling to listen or to respond to new ideas and information. Toughness means sticking to a position when it is correct, even if it is unpopular.

Sounds tough to be "mediator, diplomat" and "tough" at the same time. But that's part of the answer to why I want to do the job. I value hard work and the satisfaction that comes from trying to do my best. But even more I am dedicated to the idea of improving the community and instilling pride in everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment