Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Rules We Live By

Our rules are laid out in the Haines Borough Code (HBC) and Charter. These documents are the ultimate authority for local decision making because we are a home rule borough. Home rule means just what it says, we make our own rules within the constraints of state (AS 29.10.200) and federal laws - especially the United States Constitution.

The HBC section that strikes me as particularly important for us all to keep uppermost in mind is Section 2.10.060 Assembly Rules -Speaking, Rules of Conduct. I think these are so important that I am going to publish a section every week in the newspaper for the next three weeks. The section I published this week is Section 2.10.060 (B):
B. Every member while speaking shall speak only to the subject under debate, shall refrain from personalities, and shall not refer to any other member of the assembly except in a respectful manner.
I, as the presiding officer, must make sure this rule is actively in place. That is my job. Any member of the Assembly can call me to task if I fail to perform. The public can do the same.

The problem arises when we, either as elected representatives or just as important, as citizens, do not know or recall the rules. There are many ways to keep these rules alive. Specific code sections could be rotated through as footers on the agenda; the mayor could read one of the rules under the Mayor's Comments at each meeting - similar to the way the School Board often reads one of its policies from the policy manual at the opening of its meetings; flyers with these important sections could be distributed; the rules could be posted on the Chamber walls - I am sure there are many reminders we could adopt.

I am completely open to an examination of our Charter and Code. But some rules are keepers. We can live by the rules we keep, and work to change rules we find of questionable value. I highly value Section 2.10.060 of the Haines Borough Code.

No comments:

Post a Comment