Sunday, October 16, 2011

Can Demolition Include "Recycling" or Is It All Headed Straight to the Land Fill?


At least 30 years ago, my husband (Bob Schwalbach), Norm Blank, Craig McCormick, and Tim June "bought" a DOT barn here in Haines for $11.00.

The Department of Transportation advertised for bids to either demolish or remove an equipment barn in Haines. There were several proposals to demolish the building ranging in the tens of thousands of dollars. And then there was this odd proposal from a group of guys with hammers and crowbars offering to remove the building. The State took them up.

I suppose their financial people weighed the options: spend $10,000 to have the building demolished or earn $11.00 from eager buyers? One idea that I haven't heard considered with respect to the old school is the idea of selling the building as "surplus" to be removed. I wonder if there would be any response to such an option?

The beams holding up my house are from that old DOT barn. Our original windows were from the barn. Some of my out buildings are sided from stock from that barn.

Before we consign the contents of the old school to the landfill, I hope we can see if there are people in the community who could use the items. Those lockers look in pretty good shape to me. Thanks to Joe Poor for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment